There are plenty of ways to clean your home with baking soda and for the amount of money that a box costs it can really cut down on your monthly budget for cleaning supplies. Baking soda is a very mild abrasive and works very will in the kitchen, bathroom and throughout the house. Below I have listed some easy ideas to keep your home smelling and looking good too.
15 Ways to Clean Your Home with Baking Soda
In The Kitchen
- Sink– To scour your sink to a sparkling clean all you need to do is make a paste out of baking soda and water. Rub the paste all over the sink and let sit briefly, rub it in a bit and rinse well. Your sink will not only be sparkling clean but you will be left with a light fresh sent.
- Stove top– The stove stop can be a very messy place full of stuck on food, grease and grime. Using the 1-1-1 method you can have your stove top sparkling clean in no time. Just take 1 part baking soda, 1 part water, and 1 part table salt and blend into a paste. Take a damp rag and scrub the top of the stove top and wipe clean.
- Microwave– Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with about a quart of water and use to wipe down the insides of the microwave to remove all dirt and grime and you will again be left with a nice fresh sent. Great for removing odors that can leave you microwave smelling like old dried on food.
- Refrigerator– We all know that a box of baking soda in the refrigerator can help absorb odors and keep your fridge smelling nice and fresh. Mix a little vinegar with baking soda and use the bubbly mixture to wipe down the walls and shelves to a sparkling clean.
- Dishwasher– Poor a cup of baking soda into your dishwasher and run it through a wash cycle while empty to help get rid of grime and built up detergent once a month.
- Counter tops– Sprinkle baking soda on counter tops and wipe with a damn rag to clean. If you have a stubborn stain make a paste with baking soda and water and leave on stain for about 15 minutes and scrub thoroughly then rinse.
- Bathtub– The bathtub can be a filthy mess! We use it to get clean but all that dirty grime gets stuck on the side from every person in your house and within a few days it can be downright disgusting! Take a spray bottle filled with vinegar and spray the sides and bottom of your tub. Generously sprinkle baking soda over the vinegar. Let sit for just a few minutes an scrub with a rag or sponge. It will sparkle like never before!
- Bathroom sink– The bathroom sink drain can easily be a problem area that can clog with hair and well….. whatever our kids decide to sneak down there! Now baking soda will not clear a toy from your drain but if you pour 1 cup baking soda down the drain and follow it by 1 cup of very hot water (heat it up). Wait 5 minutes for the solution to start working and follow with a gallon of very hot water. It may take a few times for a sticky drain but it should get everything flowing smoothly. Use once every couple weeks for routine maintenance.
- Hairbrushes– Make a solution with baking soda and water and soak your brushes and combs for around 30 minutes and rinse well.
- Bathroom floor– Mix 1/2 cup baking soda in a warm bucket of soapy water and mop then rinse well.
Throughout the house
- Cat litter box– The cat litter box can be a very smelly place even when you clean it every day. Sprinkle baking soda inside every few days to help keep the odors at bay.
- Carpet – Smelly carpet got you down? Sprinkle baking soda throughout the house onto your carpet and let sit for 30 minutes or so and then vacuum as usual.
- Scuff marks– Sprinkle baking soda on top of the scuff marks on your floor and scrub with a damp cloth or sponge. The scuff mark will come right up and leave your floor looking wonderful again.
- Trash cans and diaper pails – Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of your trash cans and diaper pails to keep smells at bay.
- Garage – Baking soda works wonders for soaking up grease spills on the garage floor.
- Shoes– Sprinkle baking soda into the inside of your shoes and let sit overnight. Tap out the baking soda before wearing. No more smelly feet!
- Fido (aka the dog)– Sprinkle baking soda over his/her coat and brush well. No more stinky doggy smell.
There are tons of ways to use baking soda to clean your home and it always leaves a nice fresh scent! Do you have other ways to clean your home with baking soda that you could share with us today? Please leave a comment below so we can all share some great tips!