Maggie of Family Frugal Fun is sharing 20 frugal household uses for vinegar. Her tips for using vinegar around the home include cleaning tips and ideas for repelling pests.
Vinegar is amazing – not only is it useful in the kitchen, but it is also wonderful for natural health reasons. Did you realize that vinegar, specifically white vinegar, is also terrific for cleaning all around your home? There are so many frugal cleaning uses for vinegar that it is impossible to list them all. What I like most about using vinegar to clean is that it is natural – no harsh chemicals being spread around the home. Below are some of my favorite cleaning uses for vinegar include.
20 Household Uses for Vinegar
1. Spritz white vinegar on mirrors and clean with tissue paper for a streak-free (and ammonia free!) shine.
2. Use to polish silver and clean tarnished jewelry.
3. Make a scrubbing paste for sinks and counter tops by mixing baking soda with white vinegar.
4. Heat white vinegar, then pour 2-3 teaspoons of baking soda down the drain and follow with the heated vinegar…great for de-greasing and unclogging the drain!
5. Clean the windows – this is especially great after storms and nasty weather when the windows are dusty and dirty.
6. Remove the smell from mildewed towels by adding 1/2 cup to the wash cycle.
7. Let 2 cups of vinegar sit in the toilet for a few hours before you clean the toilet; it will do most of the tough work for you. Plus, it disinfects at the same time.
8. Deodorize the garbage disposal by dumping some hot white vinegar down it.
9. Remove soapy buildup from the dishwasher by running it empty with vinegar in the detergent compartment.
10. Clean out the fridge and make the shelves sparkling clean again by wiping them down with a 50/50 mix of warm water and white vinegar.
11. Grimy microwave? Loosen stuck-on food particles by boiling 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar in a microwave safe bowl.
12. Soak cloudy glassware in white vinegar for 20 minutes to remove mineral buildup.
13. Get rid of pesky fruit flies naturally! Set out a small dish of vinegar (red wine vinegar works great for this one).
14. Wipe down the inside of the oven, BBQ grill, or other greasy surface with distilled vinegar.
15. If your shower-head doesn’t seem to be spraying as well as it used to, fill a gallon size ziploc bag partway with a mixture of 1/2 cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar. Tie the bag around the shower nozzle and let it soak for about an hour.
16. Wipe down the tub with undiluted white vinegar to remove grime, bacteria, and mildew. Rinse well with warm water.
17. If you have a Keurig or similar single-cup coffee maker, run 2 cups of white vinegar through it monthly to keep mineral deposits from forming and help your coffee machine run to its’ full potential.
18. Easily clean mini blinds by dipping the end of a cotton rag in vinegar and wiping the top and bottom of the blinds down.
19. If your plastic food storage containers are stained or smelly, simply wipe them out with a cloth soaked in vinegar.
20. A 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and table salt will make a paste that is perfect for cleaning tarnished brass or pewter.
Wow! What a great list of ways that vinegar is the perfect household helper…do you have a favorite use for vinegar?
More Thrifty Household Hacks:
- 20 Ways to Use Honey
- 20 Frugal Uses for Salt
- 20 Ways to Use Lemons
- 7 Ways to Use Avocados
- 20 Frugal Uses for Borax
- 20 Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil
- 10 Ways to Recycle Eggshells
- 20 Frugal Uses for Baking Soda
- 30 Frugal Uses for Witch Hazel
- 10 Household Uses for Soda Pop
- 20 Awesome Ways to Use Peppermint Oil