Do you have leftover peppermint oil from holiday baking and DIY projects? Maggie of Family Frugal Fun is sharing 20 awesome ways you can use peppermint essential oil. Her uses for peppermint essential oil include natural health remedies and a few tips for eliminating pests like mice and insects.
Peppermint Oil has quite a few natural uses. The many uses for peppermint essential oil include food, natural healing, and even helping rid us of insects and other pests.
I love the smell of mint. Peppermints remind me of my grandfather, who always had some in his pocket. Perhaps that’s why I also love peppermint essential oil – in addition to its many wonderful uses, it smells wonderful! Below are just a few uses for peppermint essential oil that I have found.
20 Awesome Uses for Peppermint Essential Oil
- Enteric coated peppermint essential oil capsules break down slowly, and are very good for numerous GI illnesses such as irritable bowel syndrome, heartburn, and indigestion.
- When taken orally, peppermint essential oil is also great for morning sickness….wish I had known that when I was expecting!
- Rub peppermint essential oil on your temples to relieve tension.
- Peppermint essential oil on the temples is also an excellent natural remedy for migraine headaches.
- Treat motion sickness by rubbing peppermint essential oil on your abdomen and wrist for a few minutes.
- Looking for a natural way to get rid of mice? Soak cottonballs in peppermint oil, then lay them where you see “evidence” of mice. In a matter of days, your mouse problem will be solved because they can’t stand the strong smell.
- It is also an effective natural defense against mosquitos.
- Ants won’t cross a line of peppermint essential oil; for an interesting experiment, lay down a line of peppermint oil where you have seen ants and watch what happens…no ants!
- Peppermint essential oil can be combined with almond oil for a great muscle-friendly massage oil.
- Diffuse peppermint essential oil in the air; this provides both nausea and headache relief. Great for migraines!
- Add a drop to your favorite food or beverage for a minty twist (try it in hot cocoa this holiday season, YUM)
- Capsules of peppermint essential oil provide menstrual pain relief as quickly as most name-brand medicines.
- Mix a potion of half lavender essential oil and half peppermint essential oil to stop bug bite itch.
- The same lavender and peppermint mixture will also keep you from getting those nasty bug bites in the first place.
- Allergic rash? Help ease symptoms and make it go away faster by applying peppermint essential oil.
- 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil added to hot tea or ice cold water after meals will make a big difference in your digestion.
- The next time you have trouble focusing put a drop on each index finger and massage your temples and below your nose. The smell will perk you up.
- Applied to the back of your neck a few times during the day, peppermint essential oil works like magic to boost your energy level naturally.
- If you are fighting cough and cold symptoms, use a little peppermint essential oil in a vaporizer or in a pan of water steaming on the stove. Take a few deep breaths and you will notice an immediate clearing of your sinuses.
- Oral consumption of small quantities of peppermint essential oil helps with gas and bloating.
Isn’t peppermint essential oil marvelous? I love having a natural method of keeping mice away in my home since we live in the country – no messy traps or dangerous poison to worry about. Just remember that peppermint essential oil is pretty strong in fragrance, so use sparingly.