The holiday magic in your kid's eyes is one of the best things about Christmas and making this Easy Reindeer Food Recipe is all part of that fun. Your children will absolutely love helping you make this magical reindeer food to put out on Christmas Eve night before they go to bed. It's save for outdoor critters like birds and squirrels, too!
Reindeer Food is another fun way to get your kids excited about Santa Clause coming to bring presents on Christmas Eve. Unlike some other reindeer treats that you may see out there, this Easy Reindeer Food Recipe is totally safe for the birds and other animals to eat after Christmas. Once you leave this treat outside for the reindeer, it will easily crumble on the ground for the birds and squirrels to snack on under the snow.
Easy Reindeer Food Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of bacon grease
- ½ cup of bird seed
- mixing bowl
- mini cupcake cup liners
- sugar sprinkles (optional)
1. In a bowl mix the bacon grease and bird seed. It is helpful if the grease is at room temperature so it is soft and blends well with the seed.
2. Fill the mini cupcake cups with the mixture. It will be greasy so you want to use a spoon to do this and possibly double up layers of cupcake cups.
3. Optional: Sprinkle the tops of the cups with a dash of sugar sprinkles. This just gives them a little sparkle. This may also help the reindeer see the treats from the sky!
4. Place the cups in the freezer or refrigerator for one hour. This will help the grease and the mixture, in general, harder and take shape.
5. Remove the cups from the cold. They will be hard and have taken shape.
6. On Christmas Eve or any night of your choice, remove them from their wrapper and place the reindeer bites outside for the reindeer to find.
Add this fun and easy reindeer food to your front or back yard with the kids right before they go to bed. This is ideal for helping them get into the holiday spirit and a great way for you to feed those pesky squirrels and birds! Outdoor critters will love this protein and nutrient filled treat!