If you want to be healthy, you should be drinking smoothies! They have so many great benefits and they're very easy to make! While you can buy powdered smoothie mixes in the grocery store, those are likely to include added sugar, preservatives, and other unnecessary ingredients. To get the most benefit, you should make your own smoothies at home using a mix of fresh ingredients. If you're not on the smoothie bandwagon yet, you will be after reading these 5 healthy reasons Why You Should Be Drinking Smoothies!
Why You Should Be Drinking Smoothies
1. Easy Fruit and Veggie Intake- We all know that we're supposed to be eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables everyday. But some people (including kids and adults) don't like the taste of the healthiest fruits and veggies. And even if you like what fresh produce tastes like, you may not have the time to consume the recommended daily allotment. So whether you don't like the taste of kale, or don't have time to eat a whole bowl full of veggies, you should be drinking smoothies! They're such an easy way to consume the fruits and veggies you need to stay healthy! Try this Berry and Spinach Smoothie that is packed with mixed berries and spinach.
2. Weight Loss- If you're trying to lose weight, you should be drinking smoothies! As long as you're not loading your homemade smoothies with excess fat and sugar, you'll find that they're relatively low in calories and very high in nutrients. They're also very filling, reducing the chance that you'll soon start craving something else and will eat more than you would prefer.
3. Improved Immune System- One of the best ways to aid your immune system is to eat a lot of fresh produce. So naturally, smoothies are great immune system helpers! Because your smoothies are full of all sorts of fruits and veggies, they're also loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. These will give your immune system a boost, helping you to stay healthy, or to fight a cold.
4. Save Time in a Healthy Way- Making a “real” breakfast like pancakes with sausage and eggs can take some time. Pouring a bowl of cereal or grabbing a protein bar is much faster, but not as nutritionally complete. If you're looking for a compromise, you should be drinking smoothies! Smoothies are fast to put together, and really quick to consume. If you wanted to save even more time in the morning, you could wash and chop your produce the night before. That way, the next morning you can just dump your ingredients in the blender, turn it on, and a minute or two later have a smoothie ready to drink!
5. Breakfast Variety- Do you have pretty much the same exact thing for breakfast every morning? Then you'd enjoy the variety of smoothies available! There are hundreds of recipes available online, in magazines, and in books. Though if you wanted, you could easily invent your own recipes. Smoothie recipe creation is really just about dumping a bunch of fruits and veggies in a blender and taste testing until you get a combo/ratio you like. Imagining being able to have a different tasting smoothie for breakfast each day of the week! For example, kick your day off with this Pumpkin, Blueberry, and Date Smoothie. You could even adjust your recipes to increase your intake of specific vitamins. If you felt a cold coming on, you could make an orange based smoothie one morning for the extra burst of vitamin C!