I think that kid made crafts are the best and they are even better when they are useful. This simple Diy Felt Keychain Earbud Case is a great gift for younger kids to make for older siblings or anyone else who uses earbuds often.
The Keychain Earbud Case keeps earbuds safe and handy. It can be customized to match the recipient’s personality by adding unique charms to the keychain as well. Taking advantage of sales and coupons at hobby lobby to purchase charms and keychain hardware let us make 4 of these for less than $10 but I found even better bulk deals for the clasp key chains on Amazon and have linked all the supplies for you below for you. These can even be made by younger children with some help from mom, especially with the hot glue or you can use a strong tacky craft glue.
DIY Felt Keychain Earbud Case
- Craft Felt
- Keychain ring
- Small velcro buttons
- Hot glue gun/sticks
- Hole punch
- The first thing you need to do is cut your felt, I played around with rolling up earbuds and trying them in different sizes and the best size I tried that wasn’t too bulky yet didn’t squeeze and potentially damage them was – 2 ¾ “ wide and 9” tall. To let younger children cut it out you can trace it lightly with a pencil where it should be cut and let them follow the line. For the horizontal earbud holder, you see I cut it to 4”x 7” and followed the same instructions below to assemble.
- Once you cut it, fold it over so that there is a 1” overlap on one of the pieces, this will be folded over later to create the closure.
- Next, you can use scissors to cut a hole but I found that using a hole punch gave me a much cleaner hole. Mine would not cut through both pieces of fabric but scored them enough that I could cut each one separately and still know where to place it to match up the folded pieces. Be sure to place it far enough in that it won’t easily tear out- about ¼”. You can mark this with a pencil to let your child do it on their own.
- Open the folded over felt and hot glue one side of your velcro coin to the inside of the flap and then run a bead of hot glue down both sides up to where the flap will be, be sure to glue right up to the hole and on the other side of it to secure it. Fold over and press firmly into place then let it cool and harden. I let it cool a bit then had my daughter press it down.
- Fold your flap over and hot glue the back of the other velcro coin onto the pouch and let it completely set.
- Once all the hot glue is dry you can add a charm to your keychain and then work the loop through your holes.
The earbud case can be personalized for the recipient by adding charms to the ring.
Your child can present their gift as is or include a pair of new earbuds for the gift recipient with them!