Wouldn't it be fun to build your very own rainbow? Here is a simple rainbow you can make and a storm isn't even required. This Build Your Own Rainbow Kit for Kids offers them a fun and colorful time, as well as strengthens fine motor skills. You can make your rainbow kit using items from your local Dollar Tree store, making this a craft that is just as fun as it is affordable. Here is how you can get started making your own!
Build Your Own Rainbow Kit for Kids
- Assorted pipe cleaners in rainbow colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, aqua, purple)
- Florist foam block
- Cotton balls
- Craft glue
As mentioned, every single one of these supplies could be found at our local Dollar Tree store. You can find foam blocks in assorted sizes, so choose one that is generous enough that it can hold all of the pipe cleaners while still being easy to manipulate. We chose a basic “brick” size and it seemed to work well.
1. Begin by arranging the pipe cleaners into the order they will be placed. This is an excellent time to teach kids about the colors of the rainbow and the order in which they appear!
2. Take your first color which will be red, and press each end into the foam block. You want to press it far enough so it stays securely in place. About an inch down on each side seems to work well.
3. Continue adding pipe cleaners in the order of the rainbow. As you can see, we used two for each color to make our color bands a little thicker. You can do the same or opt for single pipe cleaner piece. It is totally up to you.
4. Continue adding pipe cleaners until all of your colors are in place. You will now see your beautiful rainbow take shape!
5. Now you want to add the clouds below your rainbow. We just used some craft glue and covered the exposed portion of the foam brick. Press cotton balls to the glue until they are secure. You will now see a white and fluffy cloud!
Your finished product will look like a colorful rainbow on a fluffy cloud. Kids can display this as room decor or you can use it as a teaching tool when talking about weather, rainbows, even signs of St. Patrick's Day. As you can see, crafting your own rainbow kit is simple, and since everything you need can be found for $1 or less, it is quite frugal as well.
Invite the colors of the rainbow into your house when you give this Build Your Own Rainbow Kit for Kids a try!