I call these cookies Mother Hubbard Cookies because they are what I make when the cupboards are bare. These peanut butter cookies are fast, easy, and only use 3 ingredients. They are perfect for when you want to make a quick treat for unexpected company.
We like to roll our peanut butter cookie dough balls in sugar before flattening them with a fork. If you roll them in sugar, you don't have to grease the pan. If you don't want to take the time to do this extra step, then you can grease the baking sheet instead.
This recipe can be doubled or tripled easily. If you choose to make a large batch, you can freeze the extra cookies in an air-tight freezer bag for up to 6 months.
These peanut butter cookies are naturally gluten-free and dairy-free making them a frugal treat for those who have to avoid gluten and dairy.
Variations on 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies:
- Add 1/2 – 1 cup of nuts
- Add 1/2 – 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Substitute another nut butter for the peanut butter
- Substitute sunflower seed butter for peanut butter
- Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips and coat the baked (and cooled) cookies in the melted chocolate covering one half of each cookie.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- extra sugar for rolling cookie dough balls
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease the cookie sheets if not rolling the cookies in sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients together until they are well blended.
- Drop Tablespoon size balls on to the cookie sheet into a bowl of sugar, roll to coat. Place the cookie dough on a baking sheet. Flatten the cookie dough with a fork.
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes or until golden brown. Place cookie sheet on a cooling rack for several minutes, then remove the cookies and let them finish cooling on the cookie rack. Makes 2 dozen.
More Easy Cookie Recipes:
What are your favorite desserts to make when your cupboards are bare?