I am planning on making a few recipes that use caramel sauce. I want my oldest son to be able to enjoy them too, so I decided to modify my homemade caramel sauce recipe to make it dairy-free.
We have been enjoying sweets made with Organic Coconut Sugar, so I decided to use it in this recipe. If you don't have any on hand you can use brown sugar like I did in the original recipe.
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ cup soy-free dairy-free margarine
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place sugar, dairy-free margarine, almond milk, arrowroot, and salt in a medium sauce pan. Cook over a medium heat until it reaches a boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in vanilla. Let sit for a couple of minutes to cool.
Serve over ice-cream or dip apples in it.
I store the leftover sauce in the refrigerator in a glass jar. When we want more, I remove the lid and reheat the caramel sauce in the jar for 30 seconds – 1 minute, depending on how full the jar is. The caramel sauce keeps in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
You can use the caramel sauce in:
I am sharing this recipe with Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.