These Double Chocolate Lump of Coal Rice Krispie Treats make a delicious food gift for those on your naughty list! So make up a batch and add the lumps of coal to their Christmas stocking.
Two years ago, I shared a recipe for Lump of Coal Rice Krispie Treats. While lots of people loved the recipe and the fun tradition of giving coal to those on the naughty list, not everyone was happy with the amount of food coloring they had to put in the batter to get coal colored treats, so I came up with a way for you to reduce the amount of black food coloring while making even chocolatier Lump of Coal Rice Krispie Treats for those on your naughty list.
How did we make these coal treats different? We used Cocoa Krispies instead of regular Rice Krispies and Chocolate Oreos instead of regular Oreos. This means these Rice Krispie treats have more chocolate flavor and do not require as much food dye. You just need a few drops of food dye to color the melted marshmallows.
We also doubled the batch of the coal rice krispie treats because we realize that you probably know quite a few naughty people who will enjoy receiving this fun Christmas dessert.
Double Chocolate Lump of Coal Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Makes about 3 dozen
6 cups Cocoa Krispies
16-ounce bag of marshmallows
2 cups crushed chocolate Oreos, about 2 out of the 3 rows (with filling)
3 tablespoons butter, softened
Black food coloring (This super black gel food color is able to darken the marshmallow with the fewest drops.)
1. Crush the Chocolate Oreos in a large bag and lay out a piece of parchment paper.
5. Mix in the remaining 3 cups of Cocoa Krispies one cup at a time (the further you get, the harder the Cocoa Krispies will be to mix as the marshmallows will start hardening).
7. Place the lump of coal shaped treats onto the parchment paper and let sit for an hour.
Printable Recipe for Double Chocolate Lump of Coal Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies
- 16-ounce bag of marshmallows
- 2 cups crushed chocolate Oreos, about 2 out of the 3 rows (with filling)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Black food coloring
- Crush the Oreos in a large bag and lay out a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat the marshmallows, butter, and enough black food coloring to color the marshmallow black for about two minutes or until the marshmallows get puffy.
- Mix the marshmallow mixture.
- Mix in the crushed Oreos and 3 cups of cocoa Krispies until semi-mixed.
- Mix in the remaining 3 cups of cocoa Krispies one cup at a time (the further you get, the harder the Cocoa Krispies will be to mix as the marshmallows will start hardening).
- Spray 2 sandwich bags with a nonstick butter cooking spray and form the cocoa Krispies into small ball shapes with the bags on your hands
- Place the lump of coal shaped treats onto the parchment paper and let sit for an hour.