Who doesn’t like it when your favorite end of summer fruits play well together? For this yummylicious baking play date, the peaches and apples made fast friends in this beautiful double crusted cobbler. Growing up my mom always made the best peach cobbler, and this adaptation springs from those days of old. In part this cobbler pays homage to the many unforgettable cobblers piping hot from my mom’s oven. If you think you know what the white stuff sitting atop this delicious cobbler you’ll only be half right if you suspect its whip cream. This is a homemade spiced rum-spiked whip cream. How’s that for upping the ante on classic dessert?
How to Make a Peach and Apple Cobbler
Here’s what you will need to make your very own Peach and Apple Cobbler:
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 3 large peaches, cut into thick wedges
- 3 large baking apples, cut into thick wedges
- 1 cup of flour
- 3/4 cup of sugar, plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- 3/4 cup of whole milk
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare apples and peaches by peeling them and cutting them into quarter slices.
- Add the fruit to a large bowl and sprinkle with two tablespoons of sugar and add the lemon juice, set aside.
- Pour melted butter onto the bottom pie crust already inside pie dish.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, the remaining sugar, salt, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add peach and apples slices and gently stir until the fruit is covered with the mixture.
- Add milk and gently stir a few times.
- Pour mixture over buttered pie dough and spread evenly.
- Cover with remaining pie dough and crimp sides.
- Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Brush top with egg-wash.
- Cut vent slits.
- Bake until the top is nice and brown, about 45 – 60 minutes.
- Remove the cobbler from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Serve warm.
I use a pie dough recipe I got from the good folks at Bon Appétit. It is a wonderful all-butter recipe, and although the recipe calls for apple cider vinegar, you’ll want to skip it here.
Egg Wash Ingredients:
- 1 Tablespoon of Heavy Cream
- 1 Large Egg
In a small bowl, crack 1 large egg, add heavy cream, and whisk together. Brush onto top of uncooked pie shell. Throw out any remaining egg wash.
Rum Spiked Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Tablespoons of Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Spiced Rum
- Whip the cream with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- When it starts to thicken, add the sugar, vanilla, and spiced rum.
- Continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Serve cold.