This recipe is inspired by a dish a friend made for my family. She new that most of us could not eat gluten, so she made lasagna and replaced the noodle layers with layers of rice. It was absolutely delicious!
The next time I had leftover rice and leftover spaghetti sauce, I knew what I wanted to create my own version of Lasagna Rice Casserole.
This recipe is easy to make and comes together quickly if you already have some of the ingredients on hand, but it is tasty enough that it is worth making completely from scratch if you are missing some of the precooked ingredients.
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce (Homemade spaghetti sauce)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 3 – 4 cups grated cheese (I use a mixture of leftover cheeses)
- In a large skillet brown hamburger with onion.
- Add 2 cups of spaghetti sauce to hamburger.
- In a small bowl, mix ~ 2 cups of leftover rice with ½ cup of cottage cheese.
- Press half of the rice mixture into bottom of a greased 11 x 7 casserole dish.
- Add half of the meat mixture.
- Top with half of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cheese is thoroughly melted.