This is a fun twist on traditional mashed potatoes. I have found blue potatoes to be quite hardy and enjoy growing them in my garden. Whenever I share them with my friends they ask what blue potatoes taste like. Blue potatoes taste like potatoes, only a little more so. If you usually eat bland russet potatoes, you are missing out on a lot flavor…and color!
Purple Mashed Potatoes begin with blue (or purple as they are sometimes called) potatoes. If you cut into a blue potato, you will discover that the inside is purple too. Even if you peel the deep purple exterior, you will still have purple potatoes. Aren't they gorgeous? They make a colorful addition to any recipe that calls for potatoes.
- 2 lbs. blue (or purple) potatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- pepper to taste
- ½ – ¾ cup vegetable broth (How to Make Vegetable Broth)
- In a large pot, boil potatoes until they can easily be pierced by a fork.
- Drain and rinse the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes; adding spices and oil.
- Add the broth slowly to achieve the desired texture.
More Potato Recipes:
Twice Baked Potatoes
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Mashed Red Potatoes
Hasselback Red Potatoes
Fast and Easy Hashbrowns
Garlic and Rosemary Red Potatoes
Herb Roasted New Potatoes
Sauted Potatoes with Italian Seasoning