I accidentally bought too many tortillas, so I have declared this week Quesadilla Week. I love quesadillas! They are fast, easy and use melted cheese as glue. You can't get much better than that. When we are in a hurry or on travel, I make quesadillas in the microwave, but when I have time I prefer the awesome crunchiness of the tortillas when cooked in a skillet.
I have a large electric skillet that allows me to make 3 -4 quesadillas at a time. If I am just making them for the boys for lunch, I use my large stainless steel skillet on the stove.
This is less a recipe and more of a guideline. It is hard to measure a handful of spinach and a pinch of onion, but I have done my best.
- 12 tortillas
- 1½ cups cheese
- 1½ - 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1½ cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Brush the pan with oil and heat until hot. (350 on an electric skillet or medium high on the stove).
- Place tortillas on pan.
- Sprinkle 1 -2 tablespoons of cheese on each tortilla.
- Place ~1/4 cup of spinach leaves on top of the cheese.
- Spread sliced mushrooms over the spinach.
- Sprinkle sliced onions over the mushrooms.
- Top with 1 - 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top and press it down to evenly smush the ingredients between the tortillas.
- Cook until the bottom tortilla is brown. Flip and cook until the other tortilla is brown, approximately 3 -4 minutes each side.
- Repeat until all of your quesadillas have been made.
- Cut in half and serve while hot.
I served the Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas with Asparagus with Garlic.