I was thrilled to have an opportunity to review Good Cheap Eats Dinner in 30 Minutes (or Less!) by Jessica Fisher. You may already know Jessica from GoodCheapEats and Lif
Good Cheap Eats Dinner in 30 Minutes (or Less!) is filled with delicious recipes such as Confetti Chili, Chicken Fajita Bake, and Three Cheese Enchiladas that are sure to be a hit with the whole family. Most importantly, Jessica shares tips throughout her book for simplifying and speeding up dinner prep without compromising on flavor. Her simple cooking hacks will help college students and young professionals who are new to cooking as well as busy moms who are trying to fit dinner into their hectic after-school schedule.
In addition to sharing time saving cooking tips, Jessica shares ideas for saving money on your grocery budget. One way that Jessica recommends to economize is to go meatless a few nights a week.
Right now zucchini is in season, so it is the perfect time to save money and enjoy a meatless meal by trying Jessica's Zucchini Fritters Recipe!
Zucchini Fritters Recipe
Good Cheap Eats Dinner in 30 Minutes (or Less!) by Jessica Fisher
The Harvard Common Press, 2015
These crispy little cakes of zucchini and leeks, dipped in homemade ranch dressing, are a delicious side dish for all kinds of suppers and a great snack all on their own. They will turn zucchini haters into lovers—I promise! The leeks get crispy when fried, adding great texture and a flavor reminiscent of onion rings. You can substitute shredded onion for the leek, if you prefer.
SERVES 4-6 | MEATLESS | DAIRY-FREE
- 2 medium zucchini
- ¼ large leek, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing (page 129) or sour cream, for dipping (optional)
- Shred the zucchini using a box grater or the shredding disk in a food processor. Squeeze the zucchini to get rid of any extra liquid. (I do this in a nut milk bag, but you can also use layers of cheesecloth or a thin dishtowel.)
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, leek, eggs, panko, salt, paprika, and pepper to taste.
- Heat ½ inch of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 2-inch patties. Fry the patties in batches in the hot oil until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Drain the fritters on paper towels. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
Looking for more quick and easy recipes that are easy on your budget? You can find Good Cheap Eats Dinner in 30 Minutes (or Less!) on Amazon (where it is currently on sale for $9.87) or where ever books are sold.
For those who buy Jessica's book, she has created a month of meal plans with shopping lists to help you start putting the cookbook to use right away. You can find the Free Dinner in 30 Minute Meal Plan here.