When I tried making a carrot cake in Bundt cake pan, my daughter convinced me to use white chocolate chips instead of walnuts and the chips stuck causing the cake came out in pieces…so I ended up making a carrot cake trifle. The trifle was such a hit that my family has asked me to ruin more cakes.
I decided to have another go at a gluten-free carrot Bundt cake and this time, I decided to leave the white chocolate chips out of the batter and use them to create a glaze instead.
While I was experimenting, I decided to try reducing the sugar by a third and I replaced half of the oil with apple sauce. My family didn’t miss the sugar and oil. To my slightly healthified carrot cake I added craisins and walnuts. If you wanted to be even healthier you could leave off the glaze and just sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.
Gluten-Free Carrot Bundt Cake
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup rice flour
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups grated carrots
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup cranberries (optional)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons milk (or vanilla almond milk)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 pan.
- In a large bowl, blend sugar, apple sauce, oil, and eggs using a whisk or mixer on low.
- Add the flours, potato starch, guar gum, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Mix on high for 2 minutes.
- Add in grated carrots and optional ingredients. Stir in by hand until fully incorporated.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Set on rack to cool for 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and let cool completely before glazing.
- In a small sauce microwave safe bowl heat milk and white chocolate until the chocolate melts. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in the cinnamon.
- Drizzle the glaze over cake. Let sit for a few minutes to harden before serving.
More Gluten-Free Cake Recipes:
- Gluten-Free Cola Cake
- Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake
- Gluten-Free Earthquake Cake
- Gluten-Free Mocha Fudge Cake
- Gluten-Free Hummingbird Bundt Cake
- Gluten-Free German Chocolate Cake with Dairy-Free Topping