German Chocolate Cake is at the top of my list of favorite desserts. Which is why I don’t make it very often!
Especially since I like to create an extra thick topping that is piled on top rather than running off like a glaze.
When I make it, I ask the kids to hide it from me, but the trail of cake crumbs usually gives away the hiding spot.
The best solution I have found for my lack of self-control is to make this cake when we have company and then encourage them to take some home when they leave. The last time I was slicing it for guests to take home a friend called me on it and said, “So you want us to eat it for breakfast instead of you?’ I told her that was my exactly intention and she said, “I don’t have a problem with that”. Now, that’s a good friend!
This is a great recipe to serve when you some of your guests cannot consume dairy. It is so easy to replace the dairy found in the recipe with coconut or almond products without compromising the original flavor of the recipe. If you don’t have German’s Sweet Chocolate you use one of these substitutes.
- 4 squares German's Sweet Chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup oil
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ cup coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 teaspoon gf vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk (coconut milk or milk)
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 13×9 pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Melt for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each interval, until melted.
- Add the oil, water, eggs, and vanilla to the chocolate. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until all the ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar, coconut oil (or butter), vanilla and milk in a medium sauce pan.
- Cook over a medium flame for about 15 minutes, until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut and pecans.
- Let the topping cool and thicken for about 30 minutes. Then spread it over the top of the cooled cake.
More Gluten-Free Cake Recipes:
- Gluten-Free Cola Cake
- Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake
- Gluten-Free Earthquake Cake
- Gluten-Free Mocha Fudge Cake
- Gluten-Free Hummingbird Bundt Cake
- Gluten-Free Caramel Apple Snack Cake