I have made a great discovery thanks to my sister: Coconut oil makes a great body lotion. I keep some in the bathroom and use it straight from the jar. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature and “melts” as I rub it into my skin. It is considered a “dry oil” so it doesn’t leave a greasy residue. Instead, it leaves my skin feeling incredibly soft.
Some people do not like using solid coconut oil. If you fall into that category, you can make Homemade Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter by following the simple tutorial on The Nourished Life. If the whipped butter gets too cold, it will become solid again. If that happens, you can whip it again.
You can make a more portable lotion, by mixing 1 part lanolin, 1 part aloe vera and 2 parts oil. It has the consistency of a typical hand and body lotion and can be placed in a squeezable plastic container to be easily taken along with you. I have included directions for How to Make Your Own Body Lotion. A recipe and tips are included below.
How to Make Your Own Body Lotion:
- 1/2 cup oil (olive oil or grapeseed oil)
- 1/4 cup lanolin
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
- essential oil (optional)
- Place the oil and lanolin a blender safe bowl. Blend until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add al0e vera gel while blending. If it is too thick, add a little extra aloe and blend again.
- Add a few drops of essential oil and mix well. Add essential oil a few drops at a time until you have achieved the desired scent strength.
- Place lotion in a clean bottle or jar.
More Homemade Personal Care Recipes:
You can find more Naturally Frugal Tips here.Yum