Everyone remembers the old story about Santa leaving a lump of coal in your stocking if you are on the naughty list. This year, you can leave these Lump Of Coal Rice Krispie Treats instead! Your kids will love finding a delicious snack in their stocking and you get to have fun with the story of telling them they are on the naughty list.
This recipe for Lump of Coal Rice Krispie Treats is super easy to make. It’s a basic rice cereal and marshmallow treat recipe with the addition of my favorite cookie, Oreo’s. With crushed Oreo cookies and some black food coloring, you can turn a plain rice krispie treat into a little lump of coal. This recipe is perfect for sharing around the holiday season.
Lump of Coal Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows or 30 large marshmallows
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups rice cereal (reduce to 3 cups if you want softer coal)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Oreo cookies, loosely packed (best to leave the filling in the cookies)
- 4 – 10 drops black gel food coloring (enough to turn the melted marshmallows black. The amount required will depend on the brand you use). We have found this super black gel food color is able to darken the marshmallow with the fewest drops.
1. In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, heat your marshmallows and butter for 60-90 seconds. Until the butter and marshmallow are melted.
2. Stir your marshmallows and mix in your food coloring until you achieve the desired color.
3. Now mix in your rice cereal and the crushed Oreo cookies. Use a heavy metal spoon as it is quite hard to stir all of the
4. Let sit for about 5 minutes until your marshmallows cool down
6. Use a tablespoon to scoop out your treats onto a piece of parchment paper.
The final product will be harder, denser, and drier than your traditional Rice Krispies treats, but the Oreos will make it more flavorful.
Note about color: Some people have found that their food dye did not do an adequate job of coloring the Rice Krispies treats. One of my friends had this happen to her and she used Wilton Black Color Mist to give them an extra coat of black color of her lumps of coal.
This is such a fun idea for Christmas! Make these lump of coal Rice Krispie treats and store in paper bags marked with “coal” on the outside. Slip them inside your kids’ stockings or gift them to your friends and family as a fun and delicious holiday treat.
Printable Recipe for Lump of Coal Rice Krispie Treats:
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1½ Tablespoons butter
- 3 - 4 cups rice cereal (use 3 cups for softer "coal")
- 1½ cups crushed Oreo cookies, loosely packed (best to leave the filling in)
- 4 - 10 drops black gel food coloring
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, heat your marshmallows and butter for 60-90 seconds.
- Stir your marshmallows and mix in your food coloring until you achieve the desired color.
- Mix in your rice cereal and crushed Oreo cookies.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes until your marshmallows cool down.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out your treats onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Cool for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Pack your treats a little more tightly by using your hands.
More Christmas Cookies and Desserts:
Thanks to Erica of Craft, Create, Cook for sharing her recipe with us.