We made s'mores last week. And as always happens we each had one or two and then I had lots of marshmallows and graham crackers leftover. Instead of letting the marshmallows and graham crackers get stale in the cupboard (have you noticed how the chocolate bars never go stale?) I decided to use them to make S'more Brownies.
This is extremely decadent. The only thing I did to cut back on the sugar was cut the marshmallows in half, before placing them on top of the brownies. I really think I should get credit for trying though.
- 2 cups crushed gluten-free graham crackers ( I use Kinnikinnick S’moreables)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted ( I use Earth Balance margarine to make this dairy free)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 – 1 oz. squares unsweetened chocolate
- ⅔ cup butter (I use Spectrum shortening to make this dairy free)
- 1¾ cups + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 25 – 30 marshmallows, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 pan.
- Combine crushed graham crackers, melted butter and brown sugar. Press into greased pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the graham crust is baking mix up brownies.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter or shortening.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, eggs, water and mix well. Mix in flours, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, and sugar.
- Pour the brownie batter on top of the crust and bake for 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Turn broiler on. Arrange marshmallows on top of brownies, cut side down. Place under the broiler for about 2 minutes or until the marshmallows are browned. Watch them closely, the marshmallows brown quickly.
The kids said we needed to eat them while they were still warm, but this might have been a self-serving declaration. I liked them even better once they cooled down to room temperature.