I love spring! The rhubarb in my garden is ready to be harvested and strawberries are in season, so it is time to make one of our favorite muffins.
In our house muffins are not just a breakfast food, they are my kid’s favorite snack. All of my kids even enjoy muffins for dessert. Yes, I know they are weird, but you won’t hear me complain! And as a mom, I love how easy it is to modify muffins to make them a bit more nutritious.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (or rice milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rhubarb, diced
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- Cream together brown sugar and applesauce. Add egg and mix well. Then, add in the milk and vanilla.
- Mix the flours, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt together and add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the rhubarb and strawberries.
- Fill lined or greased muffins tins ⅔ full. Bake at 350 for 25- 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Makes approximately 20 muffins.