These free Barbie sewing patterns make fun homemade gifts for kids.
When I was a little girl, my mom used to make some clothing for my Barbies. I felt special to have these since they were unique and you couldn’t buy them in the store. When my daughter was still playing with Barbies, I couldn’t believe what they wanted to charge for just one outfit. I could buy an entire outfit for myself for the price! Making Barbie clothes is so easy and it can practically be free since you can use up your sewing scraps to do it most of the time. Making these clothes can be awesome for gift giving and for teaching the basics of sewing to your child. Here are 11 free Barbie sewing patterns to get you started.
11 Free Barbie Sewing Patterns
1. Make this awesome Mermaid (or merman!) tail for your Barbies from Sew Spoiled. It’s so simple even beginners can do this one!
2. The Moody Fashionista shows you how to turn a sock into a dress for Barbie. How creative is that? This is perfect for all those pairs of socks that just have one.
3. This Itty Bitty Apron from the Brassy Apple is so awesome. I almost want one for myself!
4. Almost Unschoolers has a great tutorial on making Simple Felt Clothing for Barbie and Ken. This one is so simple your kids can do it with you.
5. If a strapless dress is more your Barbie’s style, here is a great tutorial from Craftiness is Not Optional.
6. All Free Crafts has a great 5-minute Denim Skirt you can make for Barbie. You could also do this with other fabrics and have an entire wardrobe of mini skirts.
7. This Black Flounce Skirt by Miss B Couture is really cute and looks like it takes just minutes to make.
8. Happier than a Pig in Mud has a great pattern for easy slacks or jeans for Barbie.
9. Mellebug has a great Vintage Doll Dress tutorial that looks pretty awesome even on the modern Barbie.
10. This Sportswear Top and Pants from Miss B Couture are pretty awesome for the days when Barbie is just being lazy.
11. As an added bonus, I saw this on Miss B Couture’s page and I thought it was so awesome. She made the entire country club outfit from dress to hat and even handbag as worn by Julia Roberts’ character in “Pretty Woman”. Is that amazing?
More Free Patterns for Kids:
15 Free Baby Doll Sewing Patterns
10 Free American Girl Doll Patterns
15 Free Felt Food Sewing Patterns
You can make a pattern from scratch if necessary.There are many video on pinterest.It’s not hard I too am a grandmother and had never done any pattern making or alteration before, but learned how to do this without much problem.
Betty Richardsen says
I’m a great grandma and don’t do any sewing for years but 1. of my littles really really wants Nana to do it. is there any super easy way to hand stitch apair of leggings and top?
Ann Harper says
From one grandmother to another. You can use your old patterns for the new barbies just get a used new Barbie from thrift store and cut your old pattern down a bit. The new barbies usually have larger waist and small bust sizes. I was able to do this fairly easily and had never done much altering of patterns. I also just left some of barbies clothes a bit big just easier for young fingers to get on. The children look more at the fabric than the fit when they are young( ay under five or six). LOL Piper has never refused to let one of her barbies wear a dress that didn’t fit just perfectly.
Alea Milham says
Great tips! Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for sharing
Ani Peterson says
My grandson will be overjoyed, he loves making barbie clothes, and dressing the barbies… So glad I found this for him.
Diane savage says
Love to make clothes grate patterns my mum made me and my sister dolls clothes love to try your patterns
Fabulous thanks is great idea
Gloria Luther says
Making Barbie clothes for granddaughter for Christmas. I gave old patterns but they fit Classic Barbie. Patterns for new Barbie are $17.95 per pattern!!! Ugh thanks for helping Grandma’s on limited income give a little girl what she ask for.
Joanns very often has .99 pattern sales.
Cyndie Minnifield says
So does Hobby Lobby! I just wait it out until they are on sale!☺
Thanks for your help with all the Barbie clothes, etc. My granddaughter is ecstatic that her aged relative can make clothes for her Barbies that no one else can buy!