So you made those New Year resolutions a few months ago to hit the gym, eat healthier, and lose a few pounds in 2016. But now that Spring has sprung, here’s hoping you have made some progress. If you need a little boost to keep the momentum going or need a kick start, try these 10 Metabolism Boosting Superfoods.
10 Metabolism Boosting Superfoods
1. Citrus Fruits: Because they contain a high dose of vitamin C, citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons, and limes are a great way to help your body metabolize fat faster, and this makes losing weight a little less difficult. Lemons in particular can help cleanse your digestive tract.
2. Lean Protein: When you eat a serving of lean protein like chicken or turkey breasts, you can burn twice as many calories after a meal. Our bodies need protein to preserve and build healthy muscle tissue. Combined with exercise, lean proteins help with increasing your metabolism.
3. High Fat Fish: Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, high fat fish, such as salmon, tuna, and trout, promote healthy weight loss and can raise levels of fat-burning enzymes.
4. Berries: The fiber in strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries help keep you full, and they can also help absorb fat and calories before they lead to weight gain.
5. Green Tea: Since green tea contains caffeine, it is a natural stimulant. It can help you burn calories and it increases your heart rate, so it can also help free the fatty acids stored in your body to help give you energy.
6. Whole Grains: The high levels of fiber in whole grains help us feel full because they slow our blood sugar release. Carbs are not the enemy if you stick to whole grains like oats and barley. Oatmeal is a great source of grain because it helps keep your blood sugar stable a lot longer than other breakfast foods.
7. Broccoli: Along with cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage, broccoli contains a high amount of fiber that helps you stay full longer. They also have a high water content, and this helps you to increase your metabolism to burn fat faster. It has been shown that foods high in fiber can help you gain the least amount of weight.
8. Red Beans: Dried red beans are the best source for B vitamins and zinc which boost testosterone in our bodies to help increase your energy levels and burn more calories. Of course the high fiber content also keeps you full longer and store less fat.
9. Cucumbers: With lots of vitamins, nutrients, and fiber and a very low caloric level, cucumbers are an excellent addition to your metabolism boosting plan. They are packed with water, and in turn can help hydrate your body and also keep you fuller.
10. Oatmeal: This high fiber superfood is a great source of fiber to start your day and make you feel fuller longer. It’s been shown to help lower cholesterol and as it digests it amps up your energy and helps burn calories.
Foods high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats not only fill you up, but provide an extra energy boost for your body and your metabolism. So when it comes to losing weight and getting healthier, increasing your metabolism plays a huge part. With a faster metabolism, your body burns off fat and pounds while helping you with digestion even while you are sleeping. Adding these foods along with regular exercise can increase your energy and give your metabolism the boost that it needs.
More Healthy Eating Tips:
Stephanie Brandt is a wife, mother, teacher, and non-profit founder who lives in Pennsylvania with her husband of 17 years and their two sons, three dogs, and Lucky the cat. She and her husband founded a Toiletry Bank in their local area that helps over 50+ families with free toiletries several times a year. This ministry also helped her learn how to coupon so that she could give away even more free toiletries to needy families. In addition to helping others, coupons have helped her family get rid of over $50,000 in debt through coupons, budgeting, and living frugally. Follow along as she teachers you how to live on less at www.debtfreespending.com!