Spice up your time in the kitchen when you give your spice shakers a makeover. You can makeover your own spice shakers or a set from the thrift store in just minutes. With just a little paint and some chalkboard labels, you can turn outdated and ordinary shakers into something fun and fresh! Take a look below at how we upcycled a spice shaker set for ourselves in just minutes. They are sure to make cooking any meal lots more fun.
DIY Chalkboard Spice Shakers
We used basic spray paint for our shakers. Pick any two colors you wish that complement each other. It does not matter if you choose gloss or matte, as that is up to you. As far as chalkboard labels, you can find these in a variety of shapes and sizes at your local craft store or online. We actually used large labels we had leftover and snipped them in half. It was a great way to use them up!
1. Begin by washing and drying the shakers well. A simple trip through the dishwasher works great.
2. Lay them flat on newspaper. You want to place the bottles on one piece and the lids on another. This way, the paint doesn’t mix.
3. Apply two coats of paint to the bottles and the lids in the colors of your choice. For ours, we used bright pink for the lids and basic white for the bottles.
4. Once the pieces are dry, go ahead and place them back together. You can now apply the chalkboard labels.
5. Simply peel and stick the labels in place. Use a piece of chalk to mark each shaker with the herb that it holds.
Your upcycled spice shakers are now ready to roll! They will add instant color and charm to your kitchen, and are a great way to make something old and outdated new. Give it a try!