Have I ever mentioned how much I love coconut oil? I know, I know, I sound like a broken record, but I love the stuff.
When my lips get chapped I just rub a little coconut oil on my lips. In fact I do something that some of you may think is a little odd: To prevent my lips from becoming chapped, I put a teaspoon of coconut oil in my morning coffee. The hot coffee melts the coconut oil and it sits as thin film on top of my coffee, every time I take a sip of coffee, my lips are exposed to the coconut oil.
My daughter is big believer in honey, so when her lips get chapped, she dabs a little honey on them. The great thing about honey and coconut oil is they are perfectly safe. Honey and coconut are both frugal alternatives to buying store bought, but they aren't very easy to transport when you go out and that is where homemade lip balms come in handy.
My Basic Lip Balm Recipe
- 3 tablespoons oil (I like coconut oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, sweet almond oil or a combination of the the oils)
- 4 teaspoons beeswax
- 2 – 4 drops of Vitamin E Oil
- Place the beeswax, oil, and vitamin E oil in a Pyrex container or glass jar, then set the container in the top of a double boiler.
- Heat the mixture until the beeswax melts.
- Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Pour the mixture into Lip Balm Tubes or Lip Balm Jars. Do not put the lids on the containers until the lip balm has cooled to room temperature.
More Lip Balm Tutorials:
How to Make Honey Lip Balm / Instructables
How to Make Beeswax Lip Balm / Grit
How to Make Sweet Orange Lip Balm / The Art of Homemaking
Homemade Natural Chapstick / Passionate Homemaking
Honey Cocoa Butter Lip Balm / The Daily Green
A Step by Step Tutorial for All Natural Lip Balm / Saved by Grace
More DIY Beauty Treatments:
- How to Make Your Own Sugar Scrubs
- How to Make Your Own Facial Cleansers and Masks
- How to Make Your Own Body Lotion
- How to Make Your Own Body Wash
- How to Make Homemade Hair Treatments
- How to Make Your Own Dry Shampoo
- How to Make Your Herbal Skin Treatments
- 3 Ways to Use Avocado Oil to Make Homemade Beauty Treatments
You can find more Naturally Frugal Tips here.
Do you have a Naturally Frugal Tip you would like to share? Send me an email with a link to your post (or the details if you are not a blogger) to firstname.lastname@example.org.