Though it may seem impossible, we can’t deny the benefits of getting to bed at a decent time. Here are 6 Reasons You Should Be Sleeping Before Midnight.
If you’re thinking about getting yourself on a regular sleeping schedule, going to bed before midnight is a great idea. There are many reasons why it’s better for you to go to bed early. You might think it’s easier to get more done at night because it’s quiet and peaceful, but this isn’t always the case. Here are 6 Reasons Why You Should Be Sleeping Before Midnight.
6 Reasons You Should Be Sleeping Before Midnight
1. The sleep you get before midnight is better for you. It has been shown that the sleep you get before midnight is better for restoring your body. Actually, so much more repairing to your brain and body cells, that every 1 hour of sleep you get before midnight is worth 3 times as much. Making sure you are sleeping before midnight is good for your overall health.
2. It is easier to get up early the next morning. It just makes sense that if you go to bed early it’s easier to wake up early. If you are sleeping before midnight it will help you get the rest and rejuvenation that you need to wake up early. Otherwise, you may feel like you’re fighting a losing battle. When your alarm clock goes off next time, it won’t be so hard to turn it off and get out of bed.
3. You help your circadian rhythm. Your circadian rhythm helps you set your internal alarm clock. It controls your sleep/wake schedule. It takes a little time, but you can get yourself on the schedule that you want. The key is to be consistent and to stick with it. If you are sleeping before midnight, you are going to reset that clock and make it easier to become an early riser.
4. You get a better night of sleep. Going to bed before midnight not only gives you a better quality of sleep but a better quantity, as well. If you force yourself to stay awake to get things done, you push yourself past the point of sleepiness. When you do this it is a lot harder to fall asleep and you usually get less sleep through the night.
5. It is a more natural sleep pattern. Before there was electricity everyone went to bed early and woke up early. That’s because the sun helps guide your sleep/wake cycle. That means if you are sleeping before midnight and waking up with the sunrise is a more natural sleep/wake cycle.
6. It will help you get on your regular schedule. Going to bed before midnight, preferably at the same time every night, will help you get on a regular schedule. Once you are on this schedule, it will be easy to maintain because your internal clock will be reset. That means your daily schedule can be easier to manage. From getting kids out the door to school each day to bathroom habits and exercise habits, sleeping before midnight can repair your schedule.
Bonus: Weight loss! Lack of sleep causes ghrelin, the “hunger hormone”, to increase. It also causes leptin, the “stop eating hormone”, to decrease. Increased ghrelin coupled with decreased leptin leads to weight gain. So getting to bed earlier increases the chance that you will get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep, which you need to keep ghrelin and leptin at healthy levels.
Going to bed before midnight is great for your mind and body for so many reasons. This has been the natural sleep/wake cycle for people since the beginning of time. When you are sleeping well and sleeping during a natural sleep cycle your daily life will be much easier to manage.