There is nothing quite so miserable as having a terrible head cold with a stopped up head and nose- the kind that interferes with breathing, thinking, and well, just life in general. Being a busy work at home mom I don’t have time to let those symptoms keep me down, and I hate when the kids have to battle those symptoms too.
I avoid chemicals and unnecessary medications as much as I can. I have made homemade vapor tablets for the shower and DIY rub for the chest and nose before in the past, but sometimes a little extra help like a hot soak in the tub is the only thing that will relieve your symptoms. Couple that with the same soothing vapors that are in rubs or shower tablets and you have a combo that will have you feeling better in no time. The combination of epsom salt and baking soda in my Soothing Vapor Bath Soak also eases the symptoms of tired and aching muscles that come with cold and flu.
Soothing Vapor Bath Soak
- 2 cups epsom salts
- 1 cup baking soda
- 10 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- optional- green food coloring
- glass jar for storage
- Combine epsom salts, baking soda, and essential oils to mix well.
- I added 1 drop of green food coloring to make my soak stand out since I store it in the medicine cabinet in a large mason jar, this is completely optional and does not affect the effectiveness of your soak.
- Transfer soak to a container with a tight fitting lid, it should keep indefinitely but oils will eventually lose their potency.
- To use, scoop 1-2 cups into water as hot as you can stand and soak for 20-30 minutes. Repeat 1-2 times daily as needed.