Summertime is the perfect time to bring out all the cold salad recipes. There is so many fresh vegetables to choose from to make awesome crowd-pleasing salads and many salads are easy to put together. This easy summer couscous chicken salad is sure to be a hit at the next BBQ or potluck you attend this summer! It’s not only simple to make, but also a great way to use up any extra vegetables you have on hand.
If you have never made couscous, it is very simple. It cooks up similarly to rice and takes on whatever flavor you give it beautifully. When you need a summer salad for your summer get together, try this one out!
Easy Summer Couscous Chicken Salad
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 small Spanish onion, diced
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 ear sweet corn
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chives, chopped
1 1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
1 tsp of unsalted butter
1 Tbsp of olive oil
Cook your chicken breasts on the grill or in the oven. Shred when they are done and place them in the refrigerator.
Allow the vegetable mixture and couscous to cool in the refrigerator. When cool, combine all ingredients into a cold salad and serve!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless Chicken breasts
- 1 Cup Uncooked Couscous
- 1 Small Spanish Onion, Diced
- ½ Cup Diced Red Pepper
- ½ Cup Diced Green Pepper
- 1 Ear Sweet Corn
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- ¼ Cup Chives, Chopped
- 1¼ Cup Chicken Stock
- ¼ Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp of Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- Cook your chicken breasts on the grill or in the oven. Shred when they are done and place them in the refrigerator.
- Pour 1¼ cup of unsalted chicken stock in a medium stock pot and bring to a boil. Add salt, butter and olive oil. Add uncooked couscous slowly and stir constantly with a fork Cover pot with a tight fitting lid and remove from heat and let stand. After 5 minutes fluff couscous with fork.
- Chop your vegetables (peppers and onions) and set them aside in your fridge.
- If using fresh corn on the cob, take a knife and remove it from the raw ear.
- Place your corn in a skillet with 2 tbsp butter and stir over medium heat to cook it. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Add in garlic.
- Add in the rest of your vegetables and sweat them with a little bit of water. Toss in your shredded chicken. Allow all water to evaporate, but keep stirring as to not allow vegetables to burn.
- Allow the vegetable mixture and couscous to cool in the refrigerator. When cool, combine all ingredients into a cold salad and serve!