You can save money while redecorating with these free window treatment patterns and tutorials.
With summer almost here, you are probably hoping to give your windows a new look. Custom window treatments look nice and are great for pulling off the perfect look you are hoping to create in each room of your home. When you create your own custom window treatments, they are incredibly frugal. Depending on the fabric and style, window treatments can also allow your home to be more energy efficient by keeping heat out in the summer and cool air in.
Making your own window treatments can be a great way to save money when decorating your home. You can use sheets to create bedroom window treatments. You can use remnants to create valences for small windows. You can also find large pieces of suitable fabric for making long curtains at the discount section of your favorite fabric store or even at thrift stores. Here are 10 Free Window Treatment Patterns and Tutorials to get you started.
10 Free Window Treatment Patterns and Tutorials
1. If you are just venturing into sewing or this is your first time making window treatments, why not try the Button-Up window Panels by Free Patterns? It is said to be for a skill level beginner and they look really nice and crisp!
2. If something a little more vintage is your style, these adorable Retro Fun Kitchen Curtains with Gingham Bows from Sew 4 Home is right up your alley. These really remind me of some 50’s diner and I think they are absolutely cute.
3. For the appearance of swags without the work, try making a Scarf Valance by Alternative Windows. The pattern is almost no-sew and seems like it could be made in no time.
4. Drapes typically take a while, but this Fully-Lined Tab Top Drapes Tutorial from 7 Layer Studio promises to allow you to do them in one day. This is a great pattern if you have very tall windows or a sliding glass door.
5. If you are looking for something really easy that won’t even make you pull out your sewing machine, check out these No-Sew Curtain Panels from Young House Love. This is something even beginners can do!
6. If modern style is what you are looking for, check out these Pottery Barn Inspired Drape Shade Curtains from Swoon Style & Home. It is also a no-sew pattern and looks really nice without the high price!
7. If you are looking for a simple, short curtain, try these Cafe Curtains from Woman’s Day. It looks very sunny and bright and would be a perfect way to brighten your windows for the summer season.
8. While this is technically a shower curtain, I think it would make a great drape as well. The original from Anthropologie sells for over $100 and this one can be made for around $5. Check out the pattern for Ruffled Curtain from See Kate Sew.
9. These DIY Easy Sew Curtains from Hey Let’s Make Stuff have an elegant sheer look that lets in a lot of light. These would make a great beginner project as only basic sewing skills are needed.
10. This elegant Quick and Easy Valance from Simply Modern Mom would make a great addition to any window in any room. I like how she uses them on large windows. I typically think of this type of valance as being on a shorter window but this really does look very nice.
11. I know I said this was a list of free window treatment patterns and tutorials, but I couldn’t stop myself from including this bonus Simple Crocheted Flower Tie back from Cherry Heart in this post. It is simple, beautiful and if you know how to crochet, why not give it a shot?
12. You can still make a frugal window treatment, even if you have absolutely no sewing skills at all. Follow this tutorial to create a no-sew, fabric scrap valance.
Whoa! That’s a great list! Which ones are you thinking of doing? I would love to know where you intend to put them in your home as well. Let me know in the comments.