As an avid shopper and deal hunter you probably already know that buying generic can save you tons of money. But how do you know which items are best to buy generic? Below we have compiled the Top 20 Items You Should Buy Generic, so you can be sure you are stretching your budget as far as possible. Buying generic when shopping also ensures that you aren’t wasting money where you don’t need to.
20 Items You Should Buy Generic
1. Flour– If you enjoy baking often, flour is always worth having on hand. Buy store brand and chances are you won’t notice the difference.
2. Sugar– Whether you love sugar in your coffee or your cereal, buy store brand sugar over name brand and your coffee won’t even be able to tell the difference.
3. Seasonings– Seasonings have become quite expensive over the last few years. Try sampling generic seasonings (taco, meatloaf, gravy seasonings, etc.) and see if you like them just as much as name brand.
4. Ketchup– Doesn’t all ketchup seem to taste the same? Try store brand ketchup and your lot dog or hamburger won’t be able to tell the difference.
5. Mustard– Your basic yellow mustard recipe is pretty much identical across all brands. Consider buying your mustard generic and enjoy it for under a dollar a bottle.
6. Paper Towels– Don’t spend big bucks to clean up messes. Instead, give generic paper towels a try. They are just as absorbent and come in various colors and patterns as well.
7. Basic Pain Relievers– Federal law requires that over the counter pain relievers pass certain standards and contain certain ingredients. Rest assured that the generic contains the same active ingredients as the name brand.
8. Toothpaste– Get your smile sparkling for less when you give generic toothpaste a try. It will contain the same active ingredients for getting your teeth clean.
9. Cereal– When you buy name brand cereal you are paying big bucks for the fancy packaging. Try generic and see if the plainer box and lower price is just as satisfying.
10. Bread– Store brands take great time and effort to make tasty bread and baked good products. Try generic bread and see if it isn’t just as fresh.
11. Bottled Water– In all honesty, water is water. Consider generic bottled water over name brand and enjoy it for just pennies a bottle.
12. Milk– Many consumers insist that generic milk is just as good as the name brand. Chances are it even comes with a guarantee, so why not try it?
13. Juice– Try the store brand juice over the fancy name brand juice. You will spend half and chances are it is just as fresh and tasty.
14. Glass Cleaner– Glass cleaner ingredients are pretty common across the board. Get windows cleaned for less when you opt for generic cleaner.
15. Bleach– Whether bleaching socks or cleaning the toilet, generic bleach gets the job done just as well as name brand.
16. Drink Mixes– Powdered drink mixes cost pennies per serving when you buy them generic. Plus, chances are you won’t be able to tell the difference.
17. Canned Cream Soups– Canned soups are great for cooking, so give the generic a try. Simple canned soups like tomato, cream of mushroom, and cream of celery all taste similar and have similar recipes.
18. Napkins– Don’t spend big bucks to clean up crumbs. Opt for generic napkins instead and clean up for less.
19. Yogurt– Yogurt for kids is especially expensive because you are paying for the cartoon character on the packaging. Instead, opt for generic or store brand which is just as colorful and tasty.
20. Eggs– If you bake a lot, you will notice that generic or store brand eggs cost less and are just as fresh as name brand.
Are you ready to give generic a try? Most stores offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on their products, so if you try generic and don’t like it you can get your money back. Give these 20 items you should buy generic your consideration and see how they can help you stretch your food budget!