Here are 7 Items in Your Home That Make Great Halloween Costumes and are perfect for keeping on a budget, all while giving your kids a fun costume to wear. You will love the ease of creating something at home, and your kids will love being truly unique as they go to parties or door to door this year. Utilize what you have on hand to make some fun and easy costumes everyone will love.
7 Items in Your Home That Make Great Halloween Costumes
1. Sheets. Old sheets are the perfect base for everything from the classic ghost to a toga costume and more. Solid color sheets are great for ripping apart and building a costume around. Patterned sheets can be cut and used as accent pieces, head wraps, and scarves. An old sheet that is too worn to put on the bed is just a great Halloween costume in waiting.
2. Cardboard boxes. From creating a fun gift box, to building a tin man costume, a cardboard box is a perfect beginning. Using some wrapping paper, paint, glue and various embellishments with a cardboard box can be a simple and effective way of making literally hundreds of fun Halloween costumes. Don’t forget to cut cardboard apart to make a sign, or even something fun like a jet pack or a Ghostbusters ghost busting machine.
3. Vintage clothing. Any vintage clothing can be thrown together for fun styles. Classic items can create period costumes for any decade. Add in some great makeup and hair skills and you could go as a flapper from the 1920’s or a classic pinup style from the 1950’s. Don’t forget the hippies from the 1960’s and 1970’s!
4. Kids dress up clothes. If your kids already have fun dress up clothes in their toy room, you can easily upgrade those items to create a fun Halloween costume. Princess, vampire, doctor, nurse, and superhero are so much fun to embellish from dress up pieces. Add some of your own jewelry, hair, and makeup skills and you can easily create a costume from an outfit they already have.
5. Christmas decorations. It may sound silly, but tinsel, ornaments, bows, and even garland can all be used for some fun and elaborate Halloween costumes. These items are perfect for making yourself into a gift box, or adding extra sparkle to an angel costume.
6. Aluminum Foil. The tin man or the paranoid conspiracy “tin foil hat” are just two of the fun costumes you can make using aluminum foil. Add a bit of foil to make any costume pop and shine. Great for robotics, race car drivers and more!
7. Tissue paper. Warp yourself up in tissue paper to go as a mummy or ghost. Use it to create a birthday or pinata themed costume. The ideas with tissue paper are endless, and with multiple colors available it can be a great fun way to add a bit of texture to any costume.
These items from around your home make great Halloween costumes are so easy and cheap to use. Sort through your makeup drawer for the brightest colors and have fun creating an amazing costume for yourself or your kids.