There is something fun about the unexpected, which is why I like this DIY project so much. This DIY milk bottle hanging vase is a neat way to display your fresh blooms, while still keeping things unexpected and exciting at the same time. Perfect for day to day decorating or even showers and parties, this milk bottle hanging vase can be put together in minutes using a handful of easy to find supplies. Here is how you can craft your own and start displaying your flowers in a whole new way!
DIY Hanging Milk Bottle Vase
- Glass milk bottle ($2 or less at most craft stores)
- Ribbon (thin) in choice of color
- Hot glue, glue gun
- Assorted embellishments such as lace, thick ribbon
Just a note, that we were able to find all of the supplies we used here at our local Michael’s Craft Store for under $5 total.
1. Begin by decorating your milk bottle as you wish. We added some glue to a length of thick lace and wrapped it around the base of the bottle. You can leave yours plain, try a single wrap, or cover the entire bottle if you wish.
2. Next, you want to tie on the ribbon so it can support the weight of the bottle. The best way to do this is to cut an extra long length of ribbon. Then, tie a double knot around the neck, then wrap and tie again. Pull your two ends together and tie them into a bow. Below, you can see how we did this. You ultimately want to create a “handle” for your vase with the ribbon.
3. Add water to your vase (just fill it half way or it may be too heavy) and test out your knot. The best way to do this is to hold the handle with your finger over a sink in case the ribbon gives out, and the bottle drops. Once it tests out to be durable, go ahead and add your flowers.
Your milk bottle hanging vase can now be displayed on a hook, from branches, or anywhere else that is suitable for hanging.
A little ribbon and a milk bottle is all you need to get started on this easy DIY yourself. Give it a try and display your flowers in a whole new way!