If you have taken a peek at decorating magazines lately, you may have noticed how popular tablescapes and vignettes have become. If you are not familiar with either of these design ideas, don’t let the fancy names scare you. You will find that they are actually quite fun and simple. A tablescape or vignette as some people like to call it is just a purposeful arrangement of found items. This arrangement is decorative and reflects the holiday season or theme, whatever that may be. The arrangement can tell a story, or just be for fun and festiveness. The fall and Halloween season is the perfect time to create your own, as there is an abundance of items available to you to decorate and display with. In fact, a simple walk in your own yard and trip to the dollar store is really all you need. Below, you will find the directions for making your own frugal fall tablescape, just in time for decorating for all of your fall gatherings and parties. Take a look!
Frugal Fall Tablescape
- Large plate or platter
- Faux pumpkins, gourds
- Holiday ribbon
- Small bucket or container
- Small crow, owl, or themed bird
- Pine cones
- Fall leaves
- Mini bottles
- Sticks and twigs
- Battery operated votive
I was able to find everything we used in this frugal fall tablescape at our local dollar store (Dollar Tree actually) and our own yard. You don’t need to spend a great deal of cash, just see what you can gather and then get creative with what you find.
- Once you are ready to begin, you will start by laying your place mat out. This will be the base of your tablescape. Place the large platter or plate on top of it.
- Place the smaller container in the middle or off to the side of the platter. Fill it with raffia or faux leaves.
- Prop the pumpkins and gourds on the raffia in the bucket, or sprinkled anywhere you find fitting on the platter.
- Tuck the leaves and pine cones around the plate.
- You can now prop your owl or bird on top of the bucket, looking as if it landed to check things out.
- Small bottles can be filled with leaves or twigs. Your choice.
- You can now turn on your votive (use ONLY a battery operated votive for safety purposes) and place it tucked in between the objects.
A few things to know:
You want your tablescape to reflect you. Make it as fun or serious as you wish. As you can see we made a tiny bow tie out of fabric and stuck it on our owl. We used rustic findings giving ours a natural look. You can create a more polished one if that is more your style. The key to a great looking tablescape is to create various heights, textures, and colors.
In just minutes and with minimal supplies, you can create a frugal fall tablescape that will add some holiday charm to your home. Give this simple DIY project a try and see what you can come up with!