Fabric lamp shades can really update an old lamp and can become a great accent to any room. Lampshades are surprisingly expensive and it's often difficult to find anything unique on the shelves at local home stores. It's also sometimes a challenge to find just the right color or style to fit your need.
This DIY Fabric Scrap Lamp Shade is easy to create and affordable! What is better than that? You'll only need a few supplies, some of which you may have on hand. This particular lamp shade was made for a bedside table in the bedroom where I used my fabric strip valance so I used the scraps I had left over from that project for perfectly coordinated decor. If you have scraps from a curtain, table cloth, or bedding, they would be perfect for creating easy, no sew fabric lamp shades!
DIY Fabric Lamp Shade Made with Fabric Scraps
- hanging wire basket (I found mine at the local dollar store for $1)
- fabric scraps – I use 2″ strips that were approximately 21″ long
1. Remove the hanging chain from the basket as you will not need it for this project.
2. Gather your fabric scraps. For my lampshade I used several fabric patterns. I sorted the scraps by pattern in order to easily grab the right piece when needed.
3. Tie one end of the first strip around one of the vertical wire pieces. Stretch the fabric over the next vertical wire and wrap it around and back over the wire. Continue this until you have reached the end of that piece of fabric. Tie the fabric around the last wire it will reach.
4. Tie the next scrap of fabric above the knot where your previous scrap ended. Repeat step 3.
5. Continue repeating steps 3 and 4 until you have wrapped the entire wire basket.
6. Trim the fabric scraps so that all the tails of fabric are even where knotted.
7. This step may vary depending on the type of lamp you have and how it is constructed to hold a shade as well as the side of the opening in the bottom of the basket (the now top of your shade). For my lamp, I had a finial type top. I simply tied 2 scraps of fabric across my opening to create a T that would sit atop the finial base.
Fabric lamp shades are a great choice and this DIY Fabric Scrap Lamp Shade gives extra style and you'll love how the light shines through the strips of fabric! Best of all, fabric lamp shades such as this one can cost as little as $1 if you have fabric scraps on hand. Now that is affordable!