Are you curious about creating your own homemade laundry soap, but not sure if you will love it? Maybe you just don't have the space for a 5 gallon bucket to cover a years worth of clean laundry. If either of those are the case, then this small batch laundry soap recipe is the perfect solution for you! You can try out a small batch of this Citrus Fresh Laundry Soap to see how you like it. If you want to make a larger batch of DIY laundry soap in the future, you can double, triple, or even quadruple this recipe.
Another reason I like to make homemade laundry soap in small batches is so I can switch up the scents. We may use lavender and lemongrass in one batch, citrus oils the next, or a lemon basil combination in another batch. The DIY Citrus Fresh Laundry Soap recipe below is my favorite recipe! I have experimented with many combination for laundry soap, but this is my favorite because it cleans clothes so well -from my husband uniforms to the kids play clothes and it smells delicious!
I love using essential oils not only to add scent, but also for their deodorizing, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties as well. This combination smells like the sunshine that permeates your laundry when you hang it outdoors: fresh and clean.
Homemade Laundry Soap
- 1/2 bar Fels Naptha Soap
- 1 cup Super Washing Soda
- 1/2 cup Baking soda
- 1 cup Borax
- 1 cup OxyClean type powder
- 15 drops wild orange essential oil
- 15 drops lemon essential oil
1. Grate Fels-Naptha with a hand grater. You do not have to make it as fine as I did- I just like the way this powdery consistency mixes and melts better.
2. Layer half your ingredients in a quart sized mason jar including the essential oils. Close the lid and shake well to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and shake again. You can also stir with a wooden spoon to mix .
To use: Add 2 tablespoons beneath running water in your washer.
This recipe is simple to double, triple or even quadruple if you want to keep it in a larger container and make less often.
More Homemade Cleaning Products