This adorable egg carton caterpillar is a fun recycling craft for kids!
If you are working on the alphabet with your child, it can be fun to mix it up with an alphabet themed art project! This Egg Carton Caterpillar is an adorable craft to make with your kids while they are learning the letter “C”. You can point out other “C” words as them come up while you are crafting.
While younger kids will need help gluing the pieces together, they can go crazy with the painting! This craft is inexpensive to make with frugal materials like egg cartons and pipe cleaners.
You can use this craft to supplement a study of caterpillars if you wish and encourage your kids to paint their caterpillar to match the colors of their favorite caterpillar. Since you are using egg cartons, you can also use this craft as an opportunity to talk about recycling.
How to Make an Egg Carton Caterpillar
- paperboard egg cartons
- low temp hot glue
- paint brush
- wax paper
- pipe cleaners
- google eyes
1. Protect your surface with wax paper.
2. Use scissors to cut out egg cartons. Use the corners of the carton to form the head. Cut a slit into the top of the head by gently shoving a scissor blade into the head.
3. Glue the two head pieces together with hot glue. Set aside. Lay out a few egg carton pieces for the body, and arrange as desired. Glue together with hot glue and let set. Attach head with hot glue.
5. Use a paint brush handle to wrap a chenille stem to create a spiral antennae.
6. Attach to the caterpillar head by pressing it into the slit on the top.
Your egg carton caterpillar is ready to enjoy!
More Crafts for Kids
Solar Nightlight Craft for Kids
Pool Noodle Flower Craft for Kids
Thanks to Kari of Craft Create Cook for sharing her tutorial and pictures with us.
Leave a Reply