Use this tutorial to make Patriotic Flag Chargers for your 4th of July gathering.
Have you envied the beautiful tablescapes you see on Pinterest or at a crafty friends house? Me too! That’s why I decided to set out to create my own in an affordable and easy way (so easy my 7-year-old helped me make them). You can make a more traditional flag or change up the pattern any way you like to create a patriotic place setting to dress up your 4th of July table indoors or out.
I picked up my chargers at Dollar Tree but you can find them at Hobby Lobby or other craft stores as well. I wasn’t able to get my hands on white chargers, so I picked up gold ones in the store, and then started by painting them white. However, if you have enough time, you can find white chargers and skip the step of painting them white.
Patriotic Flag Charger Tutorial
Do not attempt this on plates you will be eating directly off of as it is not a food safe application.
- 13-inch Plastic charger plates
- Red, white, blue acrylic paint
- Foam brushes
- Star stickers
- Painters tape
- Clear spray paint
- The first thing you want to do is to run some fine sanding paper over your plate to rough up the coating a little and help the paint adhere a little better. Wipe the dust away with a slightly damp cloth.
- If you weren’t able to get white chargers you will need to paint them with a base coat (well 2 coats actually). Let the paint dry for an hour or two.
- Once the base is dry or if you are using white chargers tape off your design with painters tape, be sure to press it firmly all along the tape so you get crisp lines. Add star stickers wherever you like, pressing them in firmly as well.
- Paint your red stripes and blue square. Let dry for about 15-20 minutes but not completely dry then remove painters tape and star stickers carefully. Let dry for 3 to 4 hours.
- To make your paint last longer and hold up well spray with 2 coats of clear spray, dry overnight.
Add a simple white plate, and silverware wrapped in a coordinating napkin (I made my Gingham napkins using this tutorial.) and small flag (pack of 4 at Dollar Tree). Each place setting cost me about $3 from napkin to charger!
More Patriotic Table Decor Ideas
Elegant Patriotic Table Decor Ideas
Leave a Reply