A food journal is a great tool for identifying what and when you’re eating, as well as any poor habits. Use these Healthy Tips for Keeping a Food Journal and see how useful it can be.
Last week we discussed cleaning out your pantry and making it more in line with your diet and healthy living food choices. This week, let’s talk about starting a food journal. A food journal is a great tool for seeing what you are eating and when, as well as what some temptations are for you and how good your water intake is. Your food journal can be physical (on paper) or digital, whichever works for you, but it is important to keep one especially when starting a new lifestyle. Here are some Healthy Tips for Keeping a Food Journal and how to start one.
Healthy Tips for Keeping a Food Journal
What to Write in a Food Journal
- Make sure your record everything that you eat. The point of a food journal is to help you see where you may be lacking in your diet as well as where you might be having too much of something. In order for it to work, it needs to have all the information.
- Don’t forget to include beverages. This includes water as well as beverages with calories. Drinks are often forgotten when journaling!
- Consider including your family doctor in on your food journal so they can see what you are eating and offer some suggestions or refer you to a nutritionist or dietitian.
- Real Simple offers straight to the point information on what to write down in your food journal.
- FreeBee Mom has a free food journal printable if you want to make your own binder.
Tips for Keeping a Food Journal
- Eat this, not that! offers 10 tips for keeping a food journal that works.
- Women’s Health has a list of 4 food journal mistakes you might be making.
- Self Magazine has 11 Food Journal Habits that can help you lose weight.
Digital Resources and Apps for Keeping a Food Journal
- My Fitness Pal is both a website and App that includes a food journal with thousands of easy to search food items including those at restaurants.
- The USDA Has a food tracker journal online called SuperTracker that helps you see if you are meeting or exceeding nutritional needs.
- If you suffer from an eating disorder, Rise Up is a great app for keeping a food journal and overcoming.
Are you looking for simple, actionable healthy changes you can make to live a healthier life? Check out these 52 small changes you can make to live a healthier life! Don’t forget to Join the Facebook Group to keep yourself accountable and discover what others are doing as part of their fitness plan.
If you haven’t already, sign up here to receive the Healthy Living Weekly Newsletter filled with more healthy living tips and encouragement to stick to your goals.