Who knew you could make stylish home décor with items from your local dollar store? Take a look at how we crafted these placemat vases, using just a few supplies from Dollar Tree. As you can see, they look like something you would find in a boutique, but the reality is they only cost pennies to make. Take a look at how you can craft your own with this fun dollar store craft.
Upcycled Placemat Vase Tutorial
- Plastic Place mats
- Hot glue and glue gun
- Glass vases or cups to use as inserts
1. Begin by cutting your place mat to size. You can leave it as is for a tall vase, or remove an inch or two so the vase is shorter. We created various sizes for more interest and eye appeal.
2. Next you will be forming your place mat into a tunnel shape. You want it to fit snugly with the insert you place in it, so use your insert as a form if you wish for the tunnel.
3. Once your place mat is wrapped into the size you need, apply some hot glue (be generous) to the end of the place mat. Press it to the side of itself to secure it into the tunnel shape.
4. Slide your cup or vase insert into the tunnel. Your vase is now ready to be used and enjoyed! We added some fresh flowers to our vases. You can do the same, or use yours to hold kitchen utensils, pencils, or any other items that will fit it well. Once the insert is in, the vases should stand just fine and hold up to whatever it is you decide to place in them.
Give these easy place mat vases a try and see how simple it can be to dress up your space with very little money and very little effort!