If the main areas of your home are carpeted you may already be familiar with how difficult it can be to keep your floors clean. In my home, we do our best to limit potential stains by not allowing the kids to have food in certain areas and removing shoes, but sometimes there’s only so much you can do. Drinks get spilled, a little one decides to play with your makeup, and so on. What can you do?
I decided to see what I could come up with as an alternative to store brought carpet treatments that use heavy chemicals. The fumes alone were enough to make me question their safety around my family so it was time to come up with a better option. This Homemade Carpet Stain Remover only requires two ingredients and is incredibly inexpensive to make. Hydrogen peroxide is a natural disinfectant and does an incredible job dissolving stains, while the Dr. Bronner’s castile soap aids the cleaning process further and helps deodorize. This stain remover is hands down the best spot treatment I have ever used on my carpets. You don’t have to take my word for it though, gather your ingredients and give it a try!
Homemade Carpet Stain Remover
- 1 Tablespoon Dr. Bronner’s Lavender Pure-Castile Soap
- 8 fl. oz. 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 16 oz. water
- 1 32. oz spray bottle (You can find these at hardware stores)
- Pour the hydrogen peroxide into the spray bottle.
- Add the Dr. Bronner’s soap.
- Fill with 16 oz. of water and give a couple good shakes to mix the ingredients.
- Spot test on a low traffic area like inside a closet or behind furniture to avoid discoloration.
- When needed, saturate your given stain with this spot treatment. Allow to sit for a few minutes and blot with a rag. If heavy stains remain, repeat the process along with gently scrubbing in a circular motion. Blot again to remove any access moisture.
If you aren’t a fan of lavender, consider using any other castile soap that is naturally scented with essential oils. Not only have I had tons of success using this on the carpets in my home, but I most recently used it on my car upholstery for a quick clean up as well.