I am trying to cut back on the amount of refined sugar that I consume. August is birthday month in our house, making my goal a little more difficult. Instead of skipping the sweets at the family birthday party or giving in to temptation and over-indulging, I decided to make watermelon cupcakes.
When I say watermelon cupcakes, I don't mean watermelon flavored cupcakes or cupcakes decorated with frosting to look like watermelon, I actually carved watermelon into the shape of cupcakes and then decorated them with whipped cream, raspberries, and mint leaves. It was really quite easy and they are ready faster than you can make traditional cupcakes.
Cut the watermelon into 2 – 3 inch thick slices. Then use a biscuit cutter or glass to cut the watermelon into circles.
Because cupcakes are smaller on the bottom and flare out. I used my smallest biscuit cutter to make a cut in the bottom. I don't go very deep, just enough to make an imprint:
Then I use the imprint on the bottom as a guide as I cut the watermelon so that they flare up from the small circle on the bottom:
Then I place the watermelon in foil cupcake cups. I left the paper liner in to soak up any juice. I used my Cupcake Decorator to top them with homemade whipped cream. I added mint leaves and raspberry to the top of each cupcake.
Everyone loved the watermelon cupcakes! The natural sweetness of the watermelon made it the perfect replacement for cupcakes.
- 1 medium seedless watermelon
- whipped cream (how to make homemade whipped cream)
- mint leaves
- Cut the watermelon into 2 - 3 inch thick slices.
- Use a glass or biscuit cutter to cut circles into each slice.
- If you wish, shave the sides of the watermelon to make them smaller on the bottom.
- Place the watermelon circles in to foil cupcake cups.
- Frost the watermelon cupcakes with whipped cream.
- Place a raspberry and mint leaves on top.
- Keep cool until it is time to serve dessert.
The process of making watermelon cupcakes leaves you with lots of little pieces of watermelon leftover which is perfect for making Mojito Melon Salad